This Blog is no longer receiving active posts due to a family loss which lead to the forced sale of the Pollinator Potager's location. I am pleased to relate that the garden is still being tended by the new property owner, for which I am grateful. The memories of my Pollinator Potager Project will remain here, and in my heart.

Saturday 22 April 2017

Earth Day

Click on Image to Enlarge


I became acquainted with the Earth Day movement during the local crusade to save Hamilton's Red Hill Creek Valley from the ravages of development and expressway construction.

Though I'd lived beside the valley my whole life, I'd taken this natural environment quite for granted, neither understanding the valley's significance to native flora and fauna, nor thinking ahead to the potential consequences of failing to look after this local treasure.


I became deeply involved with the "Save the Valley" movement through Friends of the Red Hill Valley (FORHV), an environmentally conscious group of political activists dedicated to preserving the valley in it's natural state.

Failure to accomplish our mandate was a crushing blow, that all but separated me from my constant companions who’d become almost like family, and temporarily subdued my new-found commitment to environmental sustainability and social justice. It was like losing one’s support system and moral compass all in one fell swoop.

However, the re-discovery of Silent Spring, the ground-breaking book by Rachel Carson that gave rise in the 1960's to a substantial belief in the effects of pollution on public and environmental health; a second kick at the political can, so to speak, with a new Red Hill Neighbourhoods Association; and the refusal of a few close friends from FORHV to lose touch brought me back from the brink.

Lately, I’ve poured my environmental energy into a front yard grass-to-garden transformation that has more recently morphed into what I lovingly and laughing refer to as The Pollinator Potager Project. It continues to keep me motivated and environmentally conscious.


Today, in honour of Earth Day, I am planting the pea plants I’ve grown from seed inside my house. It’s a small effort but an effort none-the-less. Happy Earth Day!



Note: For a terrific read, I suggest The History of Earth Day linked here from the Earth Day Network. It's enlightening and inspiring.