This Blog is no longer receiving active posts due to a family loss which lead to the forced sale of the Pollinator Potager's location. I am pleased to relate that the garden is still being tended by the new property owner, for which I am grateful. The memories of my Pollinator Potager Project will remain here, and in my heart.

Tuesday 25 July 2017

Growing and Giving

Click on Image to Enlarge
Wild Columbine Seeds and Pods

Last summer I received a Maltese Cross Campion during a garden tour in our neighbourhood. This spring, I grew three dozen gift seedlings, from seeds collected from the Campion last fall.

This year, I've already collected seeds from my prolific Wild Columbine, the Campion, and my Bellflower. It's strangely exciting, contemplating the propagation of future generations of plant-life.

I'm storing the collected seeds in little clearly labelled manila envelopes, so they stay fresh, dry and organized.

I'm now hoping to acquire some native Milkweed seeds (or plants) as last year's crop was decimated by aphids, and I only produced one small plant from seed, this year.

Likely, I'll find other seeds to propagate before the 2017 growing season is over, to either direct sew this fall or chill and plant next spring. Either method is something to which I'm looking forward.

Next year, I hope to have a variety of seedlings to give as gifts. After all, the growing and giving feel good; and, the good feeling makes both efforts worthwhile.