This Blog is no longer receiving active posts due to a family loss which lead to the forced sale of the Pollinator Potager's location. I am pleased to relate that the garden is still being tended by the new property owner, for which I am grateful. The memories of my Pollinator Potager Project will remain here, and in my heart.

Tuesday 7 November 2017

Rain Collection Garden

Click on Image to Enlarge
Seed Box and Wild Blue Iris
Getting Established in Our
New Rain Water Collection Garden


Since the city mandated the disconnection of urban downspouts from the combined sewer system in our neighbourhood, we've been challenged with the dilemma of how to diffuse and use the rainwater that pours down from the ample roof of our house.

This fall, I'd also been wondering where I should winter over my moisture-loving plants: A couple of newly acquired Seed Box and a Wild Blue Iris that had summered in my bird bath.

So, this week, armed with left-over river-rock and broken flagstones, I set about to construct a downspout water collection garden.

It's just a beginning but a pretty nice beginning, none-the-less. This new rain collection garden will likely be enlarged in the coming spring and summer, providing habitat for other plants requiring a more a moister and another water source for pollinating insects. 

If the next growing season is as rain-laden as this past year has been, my new rain water collection garden will have been well worth the effort.

Click on Image to Enlarge
Wild Blue Iris, Summering
in our Bird Bath