This Blog is no longer receiving active posts due to a family loss which lead to the forced sale of the Pollinator Potager's location. I am pleased to relate that the garden is still being tended by the new property owner, for which I am grateful. The memories of my Pollinator Potager Project will remain here, and in my heart.

Friday 10 November 2017

C-c-c-cold Weather

Click on Image to Enlarge
Snow on the Ground and Frozen
Water in the Bird Bath on this
First Truly Chilly Day of Autumn


Just as weather reports had been predicting; high winds, cold temperatures and snow descended upon us overnight.

Luckily, I'd been spending a couple of hours each day over the last week-and-a-half finishing up work in my garden - putting everything to bed, so to speak.

To that end:
  • I've moved and replanted perennials that weren't already in perfect locations
  • Scattered seeds from existing Coneflower, Black-Eyed Susan, and Wild Columbine plants
  • Found planting locations for large yellow Crocus bulbs and Pink Sunrise Muscari bulbs
  • Stored organic garden soil from above ground pots, and
  • Packed away garden whimsy, planting baskets, plastic cloches, a bee and butterfly watering station, and deep watering spikes and pop bottle reservoirs.

I've also:
  • Organized my garden tools and shed
  • Labelled new and relocated plants until I can plot them on my computerized chart
  • Harvested last minute crops, and
  • Protected my plants with mulched leaves.

I still intend to do some detailed measuring of the front and side plots in order to update my computer program, but that can be completed during the colder weather if I'm well bundled up; and, we still have to figure out where to store my mom's front porch three-seat covered swing.

So, with all of my major fall tidy-up projects completed, I wasn't too upset to see the snow on the ground and frozen water in the bird bath, this morning; and, though I've never been a fan of c-c-c-cold weather, at least I believe my garden is mostly prepared to face the winter soon to come.