This Blog is no longer receiving active posts due to a family loss which lead to the forced sale of the Pollinator Potager's location. I am pleased to relate that the garden is still being tended by the new property owner, for which I am grateful. The memories of my Pollinator Potager Project will remain here, and in my heart.

Thursday 7 December 2017

Leaf Mulch

Click on Image to Enlarge
Six Bags of Leaves
in Our Van for Mulching

In the early summer, my husband, Doug, bought us a leaf vacuum, blower and mulcher, on sale. This autumn, when the leaves started falling from our Little Leaf Linden Tree, out came the gadget, making swift work of the leaf mulching process.

The  mulched leaves were placed in large plastic trash cans, for storage and use in the garden once a heavy frost had come upon us, or so I thought; however, when I went looking for the finely mulched leaves, I discovered that Doug - while sorting and tidying the garage and driveway - had put the mulch out for the compost pick-up with the garbage.

Clearly, we'd had a communication failure as to the use intended for the mulched leaves, and I was left with a need for more.

I posted a message on Facebook, asking if anyone had bags of leaves ready for city pick-up that I could acquire - to no avail. Yesterday, however, while driving through our neighbourhood, I spotted six leaf bags at the curb waiting for the next morning's pick-up. I went back to the house after supper; and, getting no answer at the stranger's door, hoisted the cast-off bags into the back of our van.

By mid-day, today, Doug had already mulched two of the bags of leaves which I intend to start spreading on the garden over the next few days; happily, hubby and I are back on the same page again, thanks to more effective communication, a little ingenuity, and teamwork.