This Blog is no longer receiving active posts due to a family loss which lead to the forced sale of the Pollinator Potager's location. I am pleased to relate that the garden is still being tended by the new property owner, for which I am grateful. The memories of my Pollinator Potager Project will remain here, and in my heart.

Wednesday 16 May 2018

Growing Garlic


Last summer, Doug and I purchased some garlic while visiting a home during the Hamilton Spectator Open Garden Week tours. It was healthy, organically grown, and delicious; and, the $20 bouquet has kept us well stocked over the winter.

Following careful research, late last autumn I decided to try growing garlic myself, in our pollinator potager; and, I used a head of the organic garlic as seed stock.

I prepared planting holes of loose loamy soil, each 12" deep before inserting 7 garlic cloves. Then, I covered them with leaf mulch to insulate the garlic over the winter, and crossed my fingers.

This spring, before the snow was barely off the ground, up popped plant-lets I knew in my bones were the garlic I had sowed in early November; and, I was delighted. Apparently, I'm a garlic farmer!

Garlic would seem to be a plant that keeps on giving; and, I can't wait to harvest my own organically grown garlic in late spring/early summer, and re-plant more for a second crop in the fall.

Garlic: A healthy, prolific grower; beautiful to look at; healthy and flavourful to eat; and seemingly pest resistant - Yay!