This Blog is no longer receiving active posts due to a family loss which lead to the forced sale of the Pollinator Potager's location. I am pleased to relate that the garden is still being tended by the new property owner, for which I am grateful. The memories of my Pollinator Potager Project will remain here, and in my heart.

Saturday 12 May 2018

Self-Seeding Linden Tree


Over the last couple of days I've become aware of hundreds of small leafy seedlings growing in my front garden.

Under our large Little Leaf Linden tree, in the gravel filler between the flagstones comprising our front garden patio and between our many perennials, these weed-like seedlings carpeted the soil like a living mulch.

I was awed by their appearance in such a great number, and briefly worried I might have a real problem on my hands. Then, I started to wonder if they might be related to the tree.

My sister and I did a little research and quickly discovered that my theory about the tree was correct. The attractive leafy invasion was, in fact, first year 'Tilla Cordata' or Little Leaf Linden tree seedlings.

Armed with the identification I needed and certain that my small urban garden did not need hundreds of additional basswood trees, I set to work scrambling along the ground, plucking each of the seedlings; and, after a week of steady eradication, aided by two eager 6-yr-old assistants, I'm relieved that "tree trimming" for this year is almost over.

Interesting fact: While researching our tree's generous proliferation, I learned that Little Leaf Lindens make wonderful Bonsai trees. And, though I've never tried growing a bonsai before, this seemed like perfect opportunity to try something new.

So, I saved a few of the most sturdy Linden seedlings to use in an educational endeavour. Basically, I'm thinking I might be able to give our 60-yr-old tree, with an urban lifespan of 75 years, a legacy of sorts.

I may not be successful, but I'll never know unless I try; and, the self-seeding Linden tree, centerpiece of our pollinator potager, desperately seems to be trying to tell me something.