This Blog is no longer receiving active posts due to a family loss which lead to the forced sale of the Pollinator Potager's location. I am pleased to relate that the garden is still being tended by the new property owner, for which I am grateful. The memories of my Pollinator Potager Project will remain here, and in my heart.

Monday 18 June 2018

Garlic Scapes


Last November, I planted garlic for the first time.

It was an experiment I hoped would pan out even though I was:
  • completely inexperienced
  • gaining my insight from the internet, and
  • keeping my fingers crossed in my mind for months.

Miraculously, the seven cloves weathered the winter underground; and, almost before the snow and ice finally left the garden, tiny garlic sprouts were popping up happily amongst my other hardier perennials and shrubs.

The garlic plants grew almost visibly - daily - as they reached towards the sunny skies above, culminating this week with production of what I now recognize as garlic scapes.

The scapes circled around twice in just a few short days, and I picked them quickly before they could go to seed. They smelled and tasted just like garlic, and provided delightful garlicky flavour in a couple of dinners.

Thus far, growing garlic has been a positive experience; and, I can't wait for next phase: The harvest ... So, stay tuned!