This Blog is no longer receiving active posts due to a family loss which lead to the forced sale of the Pollinator Potager's location. I am pleased to relate that the garden is still being tended by the new property owner, for which I am grateful. The memories of my Pollinator Potager Project will remain here, and in my heart.

Saturday 20 May 2017

Crop of Spuds

Click on Image to Enlarge
My Red Pontiac Potatoes
Growing in a Laundry Hamper

There's nothing like the thrill of finding healthy potato leaves growing in one's garden. I've been planting seed potatoes over the last couple of weeks, in Dollar Store laundry baskets with drainage holes drilled into the bottom; and, amazingly all six baskets-full are thriving.

'Red Pontiac' seed potatoes, purchased at Canadian Tire, are the type of potatoes I planted. Good for baking, boiling, mashing, roasting, salads and microwave oven, they seemed a decent all-round potato to grow; and, at $10 for the bag, a six-basket yield fills me with optimism.

I never thought we'd come to think of ourselves as potato farmers; but, apparently, we have become just that; and, sometime later this summer, I expect we'll be digging through mounds of delicious red skinned potatoes, scrubbing the dirt from under our fingernails and firing up the barbeque.

Perhaps next fall, the laundry baskets will be relegated to the laundry room for the duration, but until then, I'm really enjoying watching the developing green leafy potato plants, and looking forward to the pretty purple flowers to come.

Most of all I'm dreaming of the generous crop of spuds we'll be harvesting in 10 weeks or so. Yum!