This Blog is no longer receiving active posts due to a family loss which lead to the forced sale of the Pollinator Potager's location. I am pleased to relate that the garden is still being tended by the new property owner, for which I am grateful. The memories of my Pollinator Potager Project will remain here, and in my heart.

Thursday 18 May 2017

Preparations

Click on Image to Enlarge

In April, I jump-started vegetable and herb seedlings in my new kitchen greenhouse window. It's possible that my eagerness to get going on garden preparations prompted me to plant a little too early; however, I have nine healthy tomato plants on the go that are currently day-timing on the front porch under a cloche and night-timing indoors.

Some other seedlings didn't fair as well: They hadn't the stamina to survive the long weeks indoors demanded by my over-eagerness. Specifically, broccoli, kale, mixed leaf lettuce, Romaine, cucumber, dill, beets, pumpkin and bell peppers have had to be re-seeded closer to the actual date they can make the journey out-of-doors.

Tonight, finding myself alone with time on my hands, I spread my planting paraphernalia out on my kitchen island and got to work replanting. It was a quiet, solitary evening task I enjoyed very much.

After marking the individual pots with Popsicle sticks, I watered well and placed them in a sunny south-facing greenhouse stairway window. I've still got English cucumber, carrots, winter and summer squashes, arugula, beans, corn, green onions and some Spanish onion sets that I'm planning on direct sewing when the weather is warm enough, outdoors.

My first premature planting effort initially produced energetic sprouts in less than a week. Considering that May 24th outdoor planting week is just around the corner, I believe that re-planting now is more realistic; anyway, this novice gardener is going to remain cautiously optimistic.