This Blog is no longer receiving active posts due to a family loss which lead to the forced sale of the Pollinator Potager's location. I am pleased to relate that the garden is still being tended by the new property owner, for which I am grateful. The memories of my Pollinator Potager Project will remain here, and in my heart.

Friday 26 May 2017

Tomāto, Tomăto

Click on Image to Enlarge

You say, "Tomāto, I say, Tomăto," is how the song goes. "Let's call the whole thing off," is how the song ends and how I felt last summer when my tomato crop developed bottom end rot among other problems.

Since then, I've done some research and come to realize that I likely didn't provide enough root space in the pots, and the plants may have suffered from inconsistent watering.

This year, I've chosen four large 15-gallon food safe buckets that I've pre-drilled for drainage and filled with organic vegetable potting mix. I'm assured that these containers are more than adequate in size to allow for successful growth over the next few months.

I planted one each of: Eva Purple Ball originally from the Black Forest region of Germany in the late 1800's; Tiffen Mennonite, a big sweet heirloom organic; Gardener's Sweetheart, a firm and sweet mini apple shaped cherry tomato; and, a "surprise" variety of heirloom tomato.

I've grown the plants from seeds I purchased at Hagersville's Seedy Saturday; and, I've been nursing the seedlings along on a shelf in the south-facing window above my kitchen sink since the middle of April.

The 24th of May found me potting up my seedling tomatoes into the buckets; and, to protect the tender seedlings from wind and cooler-than-seasonal temperatures, I've placed a plastic vented cloche over each of the plants.

Today, I lugged the four heavy tomato pots to their summer home on my front porch in our developing potoger garden. I've placed them in this sunny location, away from the shade of our large Linden tree.

Next will come removal of the cloches, installation of tomato cages and fertilization; but, I'm getting ahead of myself. For now, I'll just enjoy having begun the process of growing my own tomato plants from seed for the first time in my life.

If the spirit moves you, send positive vibes my way. As seedlings and novice farmer, the tomato plants and I can use all the help we can get.