This Blog is no longer receiving active posts due to a family loss which lead to the forced sale of the Pollinator Potager's location. I am pleased to relate that the garden is still being tended by the new property owner, for which I am grateful. The memories of my Pollinator Potager Project will remain here, and in my heart.

Wednesday 24 May 2017

Organic Strawberries

Click on Image to Enlarge

I'm growing organic strawberries in a 15-gallon food grade plastic bucket in my front Potager garden. The variety, purchased at my local Home Depot, is 'Berri Basket White,' and they're growing like weeds.

Before planting the strawberries, I drilled drainage holes in the bucket bottom and planting holes in the sides, and filled the pot with organic fruit and vegetable planting soil.

I've placed the pot in a raised white iron plant stand to deter insects, and anchored the stand with tent pegs to secure it from the wind. I'm also considering some netting to keep birds from eating my berries.

Strawberries are a wonderful addition to any kitchen garden, especially if they're an ever-bearing variety, as mine are. The strawberry plants - foliage, flowers and fruit - are beautiful to look at and provide colour, movement and sustenance; Moreover, the raised pot provides a welcome height variation.

The thought of sweet organic strawberries with ice cream, strawberry shortcake, strawberries in salad, or organic strawberries fresh off the vine, makes my mouth water with anticipation. Perhaps one pot won't be enough.