This Blog is no longer receiving active posts due to a family loss which lead to the forced sale of the Pollinator Potager's location. I am pleased to relate that the garden is still being tended by the new property owner, for which I am grateful. The memories of my Pollinator Potager Project will remain here, and in my heart.

Friday 25 August 2017

1st Cucumber

Click on Image to Enlarge
1st Pickling Cucumber of the Season!

Earlier in the season, I grew peas in a planter box at the side of my front porch; then in June, I replaced the harvested peas with pickling cucumber plants I'd seeded indoors.

The cucumber plants took much longer than I thought they would to establish themselves outdoors, but finally started creeping up the trellis.

Eventually, pretty yellow flowers began to open; and today, I was thrilled to find an actual cucumber growing out of one of those flowers - The first cucumber of many, I hope.

We've been making baby dill pickles most years since I was a teen, involving four generations of family in the process, but never with cucumbers grown from seed at home.

As my Mammoth Dill is growing well, above ground in a pot, it's my hope to be able to grow enough cucumbers to make at least one bottle of dill pickles from home grown ingredients, this year.

That would be a first, but hopefully not the last.