This Blog is no longer receiving active posts due to a family loss which lead to the forced sale of the Pollinator Potager's location. I am pleased to relate that the garden is still being tended by the new property owner, for which I am grateful. The memories of my Pollinator Potager Project will remain here, and in my heart.

Sunday 20 August 2017

Garden Sweethearts

Click on Image to Enlarge

Garden Sweetheart Cherry Tomatoes

One of the four tomato plants I've grown on my front porch this summer is a cherry tomato variety known as Garden Sweetheart.

Grown from seed, this plant is prolific: Over 8 feet (2.5 metres) tall and producing as many as 16 of the bright red heart-shaped fruit in a cascade from each stem. Everyone who's tried them declares these garden sweethearts to be a juicy tomato with great taste.

In a fierce wind last week, the entire unwieldy fruit-laden plant - heavy pot included - blew right over and hit the deck with a loud thump. We lost a few green tomatoes in the mishap, but the red ones knocked loose were salvaged. Most of the remaining fruit held on tightly and we righted the hardy plant, securing it firmly to the porch railing with a well-camouflaged bungee cord.



I've been growing these Garden Sweethearts for the special man in my life who's always been quite partial to cherry tomatoes: my own garden sweetheart, Doug. He's been amazingly supportive of this garden project all along, and deserves to enjoy these fruits of our considerable labour.