This Blog is no longer receiving active posts due to a family loss which lead to the forced sale of the Pollinator Potager's location. I am pleased to relate that the garden is still being tended by the new property owner, for which I am grateful. The memories of my Pollinator Potager Project will remain here, and in my heart.

Wednesday 2 August 2017

Hornworm Whisperer

Click on Image to Enlarge
Tomato Hornworm Whisperer
Granddaughter, Mattie-Belle

Last year my tomato crop succumbed to bottom end rot. This year I took measures to prevent the same blight. Imagine my upset at discovering a different tomato problem this summer.

At first, I couldn't figure out what was eating away at one and then two of my tomato plants. I blamed raccoons, and was about to cut off the quickly balding branches and half eaten fruit when I discovered what I soon learned were Tomato Hornworms.

They were beautiful in a weird and wonderful way, bright green and as large as my index finger. Having never seen anything like these critters before, I did some research as to how to save my tomato crop. 

Eradication wasn't an easy task, as my granddaughter Mattie-Belle, a five-year-old who seems to have no fear of crawling creatures of any kind, wanted to adopt them.

Eventually, the Hornworm Whisperer was lured away, and I was able to dispatch the first two followed by a third from another plant the next day; and, that seemed to do the trick.

So, another unexpected tomato tragedy has been averted, in my ongoing quest for a home-grown fresh and juicy tomato sandwich - Silent salivation reference intended.