This Blog is no longer receiving active posts due to a family loss which lead to the forced sale of the Pollinator Potager's location. I am pleased to relate that the garden is still being tended by the new property owner, for which I am grateful. The memories of my Pollinator Potager Project will remain here, and in my heart.

Wednesday 27 September 2017

Cucumber Confusion

Click on Image to Enlarge
Counter-Clockwise From Top Left
First Flower, First Cucumber,
Mutation, Harvested Fruit

Optimism soared when, in late August, our first pickling cucumber plants flowered and began to produce fruit. The elation didn't last long, though as cucumber confusion began turning our promising pickling crop into gourd-like mutations.

I asked several seasoned gardeners if they'd ever seen anything like my strange cucumbers; and, each response was a resounding, "No." One suggested there might have been something wrong with the seeds.

With genetic mutation the likely culprit, I realized there was no way we could risk eating the cucumbers; so, I photographed the imperfect harvest, inside and out, and then discarded them. Interestingly, when cut open, the cucs looked and smelled pretty much as they should.

The seeds from this year's failed cucumber crop came from a seed share table at the Seedy Saturday I attended in April. Next year, I'll be much more careful where I purchase the seeds I use to grow my vegetables and hope for a better outcome.

And, though I didn't get the cucumber crop I'd hoped would yield some home-grown dill pickles, my confused cucumbers have certainly gifted me an intriguing story to tell and some fascinating photos.