This Blog is no longer receiving active posts due to a family loss which lead to the forced sale of the Pollinator Potager's location. I am pleased to relate that the garden is still being tended by the new property owner, for which I am grateful. The memories of my Pollinator Potager Project will remain here, and in my heart.

Tuesday 12 September 2017

Goldenrod

Click on Image to Enlarge
A Welcome Pollinator
Visiting our Zig Zag Goldenrod

Last autumn, I found a treasure trove of Canada goldenrod in my backyard, likely transported there by visiting birds. I transplanted it to my side yard pollinator patch, only to be chastised for the growing of the plant that causes hay-fever.

Though, goldenrod (long falsely believed to be the cause of the allergic rhinitis know as hay-fever) and rag-weed (the actual cause of hay-fever) are not even similar in looks or mode of pollen transmission; the misconception has continued for far too long.

Rag-weed's tiny powdery grains are, in fact, easily transmitted through the air, so their nondescript green flowers do not need to attract insect pollinators. Goldenrod, on the other hand, requires insect conveyance of their heavier pollen, necessitating its bright golden floral display for insect attraction.

This week, our two goldenrod varieties - Canada provided by the birds and Zig Zag purchased at a native plant sale - began a fabulous show in our pollinator patch; and, the lovely bright colour and abundant pollen proved attractive to humans and insects, alike.

I'm happy I welcomed goldenrod to our pollinator patch; and more importantly, the pollinating insect in the photo above seems happy about it, too.