This Blog is no longer receiving active posts due to a family loss which lead to the forced sale of the Pollinator Potager's location. I am pleased to relate that the garden is still being tended by the new property owner, for which I am grateful. The memories of my Pollinator Potager Project will remain here, and in my heart.

Wednesday 13 September 2017

Potager Protegees

Click on Image to Enlarge
My 84-yr-old & 5-yr-old
Pollinator Potager Protegees

Gardening is lovely therapeutic and fulfilling endeavour that provides the mind and body with exercise, vitamin D, connection to the natural environment & people in the neighbourhood, and home-grown nutrition for species of all kinds.

In my case, gardening has also been an opportunity to share time in the great outdoors with two of my main gardening buddies (as my daughter Chelsea suggested, "my Potager Protegees"), currently: my 84-yr-old mother, Olive; and, my 5-yr-old granddaughter, Mattie-Belle.

Neither of these two people have great muscular strength or extensive gardening knowledge; however, mom and Mattie-Belle both come to the garden with great heart and strength of conviction.

When it came time, this week, to do a major trimming of the Butterfly Bushes and Cotoneasters in our pollinator patch, old and young eagerly participated in sweeping and tidying our neighbour's driveway.

Sometimes I like to be out in the garden alone, particularly if I need to think about what I'm doing; but; other times, I enjoy the company and the fresh perspective my protegees bring to the job at hand.

Mom and Mattie-Belle not only offer practical assistance, but also provide me the opportunity to learn through their questions and unique thought processes. In many ways, my gardening project is an ongoing educational experiment where I am alternately the perpetual student or teacher.

I know mom's protegee days will eventually be hampered by age, and Mattie-Belle's interests may change as she gets older (as happened with granddaughter, Rachel). That said, I'll take the enthusiasm and assistance offered by these fine ladies for as long as they are willing and able to provide both.