This Blog is no longer receiving active posts due to a family loss which lead to the forced sale of the Pollinator Potager's location. I am pleased to relate that the garden is still being tended by the new property owner, for which I am grateful. The memories of my Pollinator Potager Project will remain here, and in my heart.

Friday 8 September 2017

Finally

Click on Image to Enlarge
1st Tomato Sandwiches
from My Home-Growns

After months of seeding and tending four varieties of tomato plants, in my house and on my front porch, ripe tomatoes have finally arrived.

And, while harvesting ripe edible fruit is very fulfilling, I'm more excited at the prospect of making the first home-grown tomato sandwich of the season.

Coring, pealing (I always peal the tough skins of summer tomatoes), gently slicing and layering the juicy red tomato slices with lettuce and whipped dressing between slices of soft fresh bread (rather than toasted), is reward for my considerable labour.

Sinking my teeth into the most delicious sandwich of the season, as I did today, makes having dealt with hornworms, predators and watering issues over the summer seem like nothing at all.

My mom always said that as a child I could often be found in the tomato patch, eating fruit straight off the vine; and even to this day, for me there is no tastier treat than a tomato sandwich made with farm-fresh or home-grown tomatoes.

I'm looking forward to enjoying more delicious tomato sandwiches while my small crop is still producing fruit. The memory of the magic will have to sustain me until next year.