This Blog is no longer receiving active posts due to a family loss which lead to the forced sale of the Pollinator Potager's location. I am pleased to relate that the garden is still being tended by the new property owner, for which I am grateful. The memories of my Pollinator Potager Project will remain here, and in my heart.

Sunday 15 October 2017

Braided Onions

Click on Image to Enlarge
My Braided Spanish Onions

I learned about braiding onions many years ago, when I first read the Little House on the Prairie stories.

Carolyn Ingalls, known as "Ma" in the books, braided the stems of the onions she grew in her garden and hung them in the attic for winter storage and easy access. 
"Onions were made into long ropes, braided together by their tops, and then were hung in the attic beside wreaths of red peppers strung on threads."
- Laura Ingalls Wilder, Little House in the Big Woods
The idea was that onions could be cut off the braids from bottom to top, as needed.

In August, this year, I was reminded of the braiding practice when I visited a garlic farm where they had hung their crop to dry in a similar way. So, when my small experimental Spanish onions were ready for harvest, I set about to give onion braiding a try.

Now, I've been braiding for many years, a skill first learned in Brownies and Girl Guides, and perfected over the years braiding the hair of three daughters and two granddaughters; therefore, braiding onion stems proved to be a snap.

My braided onions, just one small braid this year, are dried and hanging in my kitchen, ready for use. It's a special full-circle occasion for me: The growing and storing of vegetables in the same manner as the pioneers of yesteryear in general, and "Ma Ingalls" in particular.