This Blog is no longer receiving active posts due to a family loss which lead to the forced sale of the Pollinator Potager's location. I am pleased to relate that the garden is still being tended by the new property owner, for which I am grateful. The memories of my Pollinator Potager Project will remain here, and in my heart.

Monday 16 October 2017

Swiss Chard

Click on Image to Enlarge
Some of my Rainbow Swiss Chard

I really liked the idea of growing my vegetables from seed; although, many of my seedlings did not transplant successfully or produce well.

Several varieties of lettuce that I seeded indoors - leaf lettuce, romaine and kale - didn't do well when I moved them outside. Most likely I let them get too leggy before transplanting; however, my Swiss Chard - a rainbow variety - purchased from a local garden centre, did very well in a raised pot.

My youngest granddaughter discovered she liked eating Swiss chard right off the plant and straight from the garden: Interesting child, she also likes arugula the same way.

Lacking lettuce or kale to supplement the chard in a salad, though, I was at a loss as to how to use up the prolific vegetable. Then my friend, Rita, offered me her tried and true Swiss chard recipe. Easy enough: 
"Saute the chard in oil, garlic and fresh herbs; then spread on toast and top with a poached egg."
Delicious!

So, I sauteed the last of my rainbow Swiss chard in the prescribed manner and froze individual-sized portions on slips of parchment for use during the deep freeze of winter; hopefully, I'll be able to convince a 6-yr-old that cooked Swiss chard is as appealing as raw.