This Blog is no longer receiving active posts due to a family loss which lead to the forced sale of the Pollinator Potager's location. I am pleased to relate that the garden is still being tended by the new property owner, for which I am grateful. The memories of my Pollinator Potager Project will remain here, and in my heart.

Friday 13 October 2017

MHHS Member

Click on Image to Enlarge
MHHS Facebook Logo

My pollinator potager project has instilled a love of gardening in me that I hadn't really expected; that said, other than during the Hamilton Spectator Open Garden Week tours in July, I haven't had much opportunity to share my new-found interest with other like-minded people.

Craving gardening camaraderie, I began a search for a gardening assemblage of which I could become a part; and, after testing out two separate group’s meetings, I found one that drew me in, quite literally.

The Mount Hamilton Horticultural Society (MHHS), recommended by a member whose garden I toured in July, turned out to be exactly what he described, and more: They were open to like-minded gardeners, young and old; welcoming of new or potential members, like myself; educational, with a varied program, planned more than a year in advance; giving of individual and group knowledge; sharing, through activities like monthly mini plant sales, gardening and photo contests, and prizes; and connected to District, and Provincial (Ontario Horticultural Association) umbrella organizations.

Following that successful trial meeting where I enjoyed Kathy Spiwak's splendid
PowerPoint presentation about shade gardens, I contacted MHHS President Claire Kostyshyn to join the group and buy tickets for my husband and I to attend the upcoming Gala Dinner. On meeting Claire and her husband Stephen for the second time and touring their lovely |en conifer garden, I felt in my bones that becoming a MHHS member was a good fit for me.

The Mount Hamilton Horticultural Society has been a thriving entity for 90 years, now; and, with some 135 members it shows no signs of fatigue. I’m really looking forward to what the next year has in store for me and my little pollinator potager project, and for my new fellow society members and their gardens too.